Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Company

That was an AMAZING performance by Raul Esparza and the rest of the cast. Raul is such an amazing performer. He keeps good timing and .I cringe everytime I see Bobby stand on that piano. I really hope that it is not a real Steinway because I would NEVER EVER have the guts to stand on such a treasured item. What I would do to own a Steinway. But the finale left me awestruck. "Being Alive" is truly a highlight of the show.

In this production, all the actors play instruments on stage. It's so amazing how they are able to play, sing, and speak at the same time. I don't understand how they can juggle so many things at once; many actors play three instruments. On stage, with everything else going on, they need to remember lines, the music and the blocking.

Character-wise, throughout the show, Bobby seems elevated or removed from most of the action and songs. He is often standing on the piano, the cubes, or the pillar and watches the action. As well, there is not much physical contact between characters. For example, in the fighting scene, Harry and Sarah are standing on opposite sides of the stage and combating in the air. I guess that what defines "Company" as a concept musical.

I really enjoyed "Company". PBS did a great job with the filming and editing to make the show flow. This would have been a great production to see live. It has already ended, but at least there's this recording to watch over and over again.

No comments: