Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Music, Mucus, and Phelgm

Of course, I am magically sick the week of Big Game AND the week when I have three concerts. Yesterday after class I had to rush to Walgreens to purchase cold medicine so I wouldn't cough my guts out. The medicine hasn't done much. It claims to be all these magical things: "pain reliever/fever reducer, nasal decongestant, cough suppressant, antihistamine*", but it could might as well be just a sugar pill stamped with the Tylenol logo.

Anyways, the Voices of Light/Passion of Joan of Arc concert last night was a great experience. The Castro Theatre is quite a unique, historical venue. I didn't expect a very large audience, maybe just a few friends or family of members from Alumni chorus. Quite the contrary. At 7:30pm, our listed curtain time, there was still a line going down the street with people waiting to buy tickets. Who knew so many people would come on a weekday to attend such an event? It took until 8:00pm to get the last people in the door. Luckily, there was an organist that entertained us during the wait. We packed the entire place. The full house made the experience that much better.


During the show, my phone rang during one of the silent scenes. Luckily the ring was muffled and hopefully not many people heard except for Patrick who was sitting next to me. I had a miserable time with my runny nose and sore throat. Every few minutes I would need to cough or blow my nose in order to sing. I had to do it discreetly to not disturb the audience watching the movie. After the show, the audience gave us a standing ovation. This response made me even more excited for this Sunday's encore performance on campus in Hertz Hall.

No comments: