Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Death and Taxes

Today is a big day for me; after much hesitation and struggle, I finally declared my minor in Theater & Performance Studies! For a long time, a part of me was conflicted in minoring in theater and also not falling behind in the classes I need to take for my major. Since the year started, I have a lot to consider and to think through in regards to academics, the ideal career, life, and certain personal issues.

This past weekend, I visited home for the first time after the second week of school; for the most part, it was good to see my parents again. I finally brought up the idea of minoring in theater to my parents. Suprisingly, they were somewhat receptive to the idea. Both of them mentioned that I should minor if I am interested, but also make sure to keep up with schoolwork. In addition, my mom added that although she is fine with me minoring, I can't major in theater, reasoning that I wouldn't be able to make money

I don't completely agree with her. A career shouldn't solely be about money; it should also be something one is passionate about. The key is to find the balance between following a passion and also having a well-paid job. As long as I'm not starving and going into poverty, I should be able to pursue what I want even if it isn't a high-paying job. For the most part, money isn't the key to happiness. It can definitely help with being happy, but it is also the cause of problems and arguments.

So my compromise is to major in engineering (pursuing a job as an Imagineer, I hope) and to minor in theater. That way, I can follow my interests in acting and not completely drown in the depths of science, math, and technology. It's only the first day...we'll see how everything turns out...

But in regards to the minor, I have shown some dismay with the department. I feel that they try to be too "innovative" and "cutting edge" and ends up failing in what it sets out to be. There isn't much variety in the styles of pieces which in turns shuts out a lot of possibility and appreciation for theater. More popular plays and musicals are never produced here on campus by the department. Because of this focus on this mindset of being innvoative, it draws on selected few who will take the effort to explore this theater. Thus, the appreciation for the arts and theater of campus is very selective. Very few people know about the department or choose to see shows. Let's hope my views of TDPS will change sometime in the next two and a half years and that I will end up eventually embracing theater on campus.

No comments: